Monday, January 30, 2012

Fiber One Blueberry Banana Nut Muffins

 
This is a simple recipe I tweaked using a Fiber One Muffin mix. Ok so I cheated a little but it was about 5 am on a school day and I was getting that baking plague again (didn't I just bake bread yesterday?). I made it low fat and cholsterol free using applesauce and egg whites as opposed to oil and whole eggs. I also added dried blueberries because they are my favorite dried fruit and I really wanted to make this recipe my own as much as possible. Throw in some chia seeds and you've got your omega-3's. I have to warn you though, since I used a box mix the ingredient list was less than healthy, as in sugar was the first ingredient. They are about 12 grams of sugar per large muffin so I reduced this by making minis. When I have a longer amount of time to cure my baking plague I will make some muffins from scratch and throw in some healthier ingredients and less sugar. Maybe even raw agave or honey to sweeten. All things said these muffins are delicously loaded with blueberries and fiber that tastes cake-y with a soft crumb. I'm eating one as I write this along with a cup of green tea with honey and might I add, it's a beautiful combination.

Fiber One Blueberry Banana Nut Muffins
(slightly adapted from Fiber One)
*makes about 36 minis as the box says but I only had one mini muffin tin so I got about 12 minis and 6 big muffins
Allergy info: contains wheat, walnut, and milk ingredients

1 box Fiber One Banana Nut Muffin mix
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup applesauce
2 egg whites
2/4 cup dried blueberries (or your fave dried fruit)
1/4 cup chia seeds (optional but adds a bit of crunch and lot's of nutrtion)

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

1.) Grease or line a mini (or large) muffin tin (preferably paper cups if using muffin liners).
2.) Stir Muffin Mix, water, applesauce, and egg whites in a medium bowl just until blended (lumps are expected, do not overmix or your muffins will be too dense). Gently fold in blueberries and chia seeds (if using).
3.) Bake about 9 minutes for minis and about 15 for regular sized muffins. The tops of the muffins should spring back, this is a good reference as to when they are done. Remove muffins from oven.
4.) Cool 5 minutes, carefully remove from pan (if not using liners, run a knife around the edges of the muffins before removing). Cool completely before storing loosely covered at room temp, or refridgerate up to a week, or freeze up to 3 months. To rewarm, microwave 1 muffin uncovered on paper towel on 50% power 10-15 seconds,20-25 seconds if in the fridge, or 30-35 seconds if frozen.

Nutrition (per 1 regular sized muffin as prepared): 140 calories (30 calories from fat), 3 grams total fat (1 gram saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat, 0.5 grams monousaturated fat), 0 milligrams cholsterol, 230 milligrams sodium or 10%, 70 milligrams potassium or 2%, 5 grams dietary fiber or 20%, 27 grams total carbohydrate or 20%, 12 grams sugar, 2 grams protien


No comments:

Post a Comment