Saturday, January 28, 2012

Wholesome Sesame Quinoa Bread

Do you ever get the urge to just bake? Well unfortunately I get that feeling a little too often therefore, I end up getting my fair share of carbs. Even so, I can't avoid it. I can't let the feeling pass. When I get this so-called baking plague, I simply must cure it. I feel that baking is  such a great therapy and most heartfelt bakers would agree with me. I use a bread machine for most of my baking which can always cure me quickly, but a good kneading after a stressful day does wonders for the soul. I also enjoy the setting up of ingredients in my beautiful Paula Dean prep bowls that my mom gave me for christmas. She knows me all too well...Anyways, onto the bread. This bread is hearty and fiber-filled. As the kneading process begins you will be entranced by the smell of dark Asian sesame oil. Truely there is nothing better than the smell of baking bread.

        Wholesome Sesame Quinoa Bread
(from The Breadman's Healthy Bread Book by George Burnett)
                         (1 1/2 lb loaf)
Note: All ingredients must be at room temp (80-100 degrees F)

1 cup lus 2 tablespoons warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons dark Oriental sesame oil
2 tablespoons barley malt syrup (I didn't have this so I used molasses instead, if you do this decrease to 1 1/2 tablespoons)
1/2 teaspoon liquid lecithin* (I used granular, if you use this then use 2 1/2 tablespoons, yes tablespoons not teaspoons)
1/3 cup unhulled sesame seeds (mine were hulled and toasted and it turned out fine)
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used 2 cups whole wheat and 1/2 cup coconut flour for added fiber and protien)
3 tablespoons quinoa grain
3 tablespoons powdered whey (plain)
2 tablespoons gluten flour (aka vital wheat gluten)
1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Note*: You can find lecithin at most health stores, I got a big jar of it for $11 and it will last a long time. Plus, it's very nutrtious and you can add it to any baked goods or drinks. I always put it in my protien smoothies.

1.) Put all ingredients in the inner pan of your Breadman bread machine in order listed (or the opposite if you are using a different machine that calls for dry ingredienta first and liquids last, just follow your manual).
2.) Select: basic wheat cycle-1 1/2 pound loaf-light crust.
3.) Push start and let your mouth water and your stomach grumble from the smell of sesame oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment